Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Chemotherapy- Ways to Manage Side Effects


Here are some things I did during chemo that helped me make it through. Maybe these tips can help you!

Above all else, be proactive and stay hydrated!

Preventing Neuropathy:
·      Folic acid
·      B12

Preventing Mouth Sores and Caring for Your Teeth:
·      Brush teeth gently
·      Floss extra gently
·      Use a SOFT toothbrush
·      Rinse mouth after eating with ½ tsp. baking soda in 8 ounces of water
·      Brushed with Extra-Strength Oralive (2 oz.) from Ascended Health



There’s a prescription numbing mouthwash you can use if you get mouth sores. I’ve also heard that Biotene and raw local honey is helpful. Thankfully, I did all the things mentioned above and I never got mouth sores. Hopefully, you won’t either!

Dealing with Constipation:
·      Drink ¼  – ½ glass WARM prune juice then walk for a few minutes to get the bowels moving
·      Eat figs, prunes, dried apricots, dates, cooked veggies, fiber, etc.
·      I read that one tbsp. butter, ½ cup applesauce, and a ½ cup prune juice mixed together and warmed up before bed can help. I did not try this but it might work for you.
·      Take Colace. It’s a over the counter stool softener that’s gentle and effective.
·      Use a step stool to put your feet up when you’re on the toilet. Totally helps!

Preventing Nausea:
·      Take your anti-nausea medicine on time and/or as soon as you feel the FIRST inkling of that nausea feeling. I did not have nausea or vomiting because I listened to my body and took the meds when I started to feel it. I also had the Emend Tri-pack infused in me before my chemo drugs.
·      Eat small amounts throughout the day.
·      Eat before you get too hungry.
·      Eat dry foods, BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast). I ate a lot of organic chicken and mashed potatoes during the first week of infusion. It was easy on the tummy and comforting. 

Gas and Abdominal Pain:
·      Drink ginger tea
·      Massage your belly a few times a day

Prevent Nails from Falling Off:
Yes, this can happen on Taxotere. No funL Thankfully, this did not happen to me because my friend, Jurgita, gave me this amazing tip and I started using it at the beginning of the first cycle of chemo:
·      Onicolife Nail Drops. I put these on 3x a day and my nails did very well!


Remember, be proactive!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment