Sunday, January 10, 2016

The One Book to Buy: Bald is Better with Earrings


bald is better with earrings, andrea hutton, breast cancer

There are hundreds of books written on the subject of breast cancer but this is the ONE book you just absolutely have to get! Bald is Better with Earrings, by Andrea Hutton, is filled with tips, helpful hints, and best of all; it’s hilarious. Although it’s a serious topic, I found myself laughing out loud many a time. Thank goodness for her sense of humor! Trust me, you need one to get through these grueling treatments.


breast cancer, bald is better with earrings

I really feel she prepared me for the road ahead. You can read the book from start to finish, or you can choose the sections that relate to you in real time. She covers the diagnosis, the tests, surgery, chemo, radiation, and everything that comes after.

She really gives you a clear picture about what to expect. Kind of like the book, What to Expect When You’re Expecting, but you’re not pregnant. And she shares her experiences in a heartfelt manner that you can easily understand and relate to, not like other books that are bogged down with clinical speak.

There are so many tips that I wrote notes like a feverish student cramming for the “how-to-survive-cancer-treatment” exam. For example, she recommends using EMLA cream, which I use and boy, does it help, especially for a pain wimp like me. As she advises, I slab it on over my port and hardly feel a thing. I also use it when I get injected with the Neulasta shot. It really works!

Speaking of the Neulasta shot, Andrea explains that it’s not as painful when the nurse slowly pushes the plunger on the injection and rubs the skin with another finger while doing it. I made sure to tell this to my nurse before I got my first shot of the hot-flash inducing demon liquid. I trusted Andrea and she was right!

neulasta, EMLA cream

Her book is packed with so many helpful hints like these that can really bring comfort to an otherwise not-so-comfortable journey. So yes, get me aboard the comfort train anytime! Woo-woo!

There are so many more examples of how this book has helped me that I could write about but this is a post and not a doctoral paper. Simply, give yourself a wonderful gift and buy this book. Or get it for someone you know that has breast cancer. You won’t be disappointed.


It has helped me and it can help you, too. Thank you, Andrea, for sharing your story.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your kind words about my book! I am so glad that it helped you even a little. Be Well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really did. Gave me comfort knowing I wasn't alone...

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words about my book! I am so glad that it helped you even a little. Be Well.

    ReplyDelete