Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Those Pesky Drains

Yes, Virginia, they are annoying. I have a drain coming out from underneath each breast. Weird is an understatement and at times they tug to remind me they’re still there. I don’t even want to look at them in the mirror.

Remember that Heal in Comfort shirt I told you about?

Heal in Comfort, breast cancer, mastectomy

The shirt is SO incredibly comfortable and gives my drains a place to rest inside the pockets. I highly recommend you get one! Trust me, you won’t be disappointed.

I wear the shower apron during my sponge bath and the drains nestle in the pouch. Super handy and comfortable, well, as comfortable as one can be given the situation. Get the apron, too!

At the end of the drains are these small, clear, football-shaped containers that collect the drainage fluid from my body. Little gross but nothing I can’t handle. My fiancĂ©, Andy, bless his heart, empties them out each morning and night into a measuring container. At times, he has to squeeze my tubes to get the fluid out. Then, he writes down the amount collected onto a recording sheet from my plastic surgeon’s office.

Lucky me, I get my drains out in a week. Woohoo! The average time can be anywhere from one to four weeks. It all depends on your body so don’t panic if it takes longer. Everyone’s different.

So what can I say about getting them taken out? Well, my right breast is numb, so actually, I don’t feel anything as my doctor pulls it out. However, my left breast is a different story.

It doesn’t hurt. And I’d be the first to tell you if it did. It just feels like a fat piece of spaghetti is being pulled through, up and around your breast. It’s definitely an odd sensation and one that I’ve never felt before. But alas, nothing I can’t handle. Just take a deep breath.

Jackson-Pratt drains, mastectomy, breast cancer

 And voila, they’re out! Good riddance!

No comments:

Post a Comment