Friday, August 5, 2016

To Wig or Not to Wig



So many choices! What’s a girl to do?

You might not think you’ll need a wig when your hair starts falling out, but my advice, you should have one just in case. You don’t know how you’re really going to react until it happens to you, kind of like when you give birth to a child. So, having one on hand is a smart bet.

Now that my hair is three-quarters of an inch (at this point I’m about a week or two away from doing chemo), I have many options. Do I go with the familiar and get a wig that’s just like my old hair? Ahh, cue nostalgic feeling. Or do I go bold and wild, maybe pink, blue, hell, maybe the rainbow? This is THE time to explore my alter egos. Where are you Sasha Fierce? I know you’re in there.

But, as it turns out, I opt for a human hair wig similar to my old hair. I also pick out a synthetic wig that’s similar to my old hair and a dark curly one, but I only wear it once. Doesn’t feel like me. I find myself needing the familiar. I found my human hair wig at Compassionate Creations http://compassionatecreationswigdesign.com They can also make a wig from your own hair.


The wig I wore in my CBS News story was given free to me by a chapter of the American Cancer Society through their Look Good Feel Better Program http://lookgoodfeelbetter.org. Totally worth checking out!

Tip: If you buy a human hair wig, make sure you take it to a stylist so that it doesn’t look too “wiggy.”



So, although my Sasha Fierce didn’t make her entrance, I chose to wear what made me most comfortable. And that’s what you want to be when you’re going through chemo, comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment