Thursday, November 12, 2015

Chemosensitivity Testing

It exists. Unfortunately, a lot of people haven’t heard about it. Basically, the doctor takes a living piece of your tumor and tests it against various chemotherapy drugs and drug combinations.

I decide to do this because I want to know what specific drugs are going to kill my cancer cells. Who wouldn’t? Although it’s not a perfect predictor, it can significantly improve my chances.

How does the doctor get a fresh piece of my tumor? Well, after the breast surgeon removes my tumors during the double mastectomy, a courier from Rational Therapeutics (where they do chemosensitivity testing) picks up my tumor sample.

In a few days, I hear back from Dr. Nagourney at Rational Therapeutics. My cancer cells are sensitive to Taxotere (docetaxel) and Adriamycin (doxorubicin). This is important information because this will support my oncologist in determining the best treatment for my specific cancer. No two cancers are alike. My oncologist recommends six rounds of Taxotere and Cytoxan, commonly referred to as TC.

breast cancer, chemotherapy, chemrsensitivity testing

To learn more about chemosensitivity testing, click the link for it under “Links I Love” or click below. Here's also a video of Dr. Nagourney speaking at a Ted conference.
Finally, chemosensitivity testing is expensive but there are foundations that are willing to help pay for it so don’t let that discourage you from doing it. The Vanguard Foundation helped me and I am SO grateful! I'm happy I chose to do it. I feel very blessed to have learned that such a thing even exists, because not many people do!

No comments:

Post a Comment