Monday, November 9, 2015

Second (or Third) Opinions

Choosing my doctors and where I go for treatments is the MOST important step, so I want multiple opinions. It’s my body and I have to pick the best people. And I must say, I’m blessed to have great insurance, which is also very helpful! 

I learn that I need a team of doctors:

Breast surgeon (performs the surgery for local removal)
Medical oncologist (oversees cancer treatments)
Radiation oncologist (radiation therapy)
Plastic surgeon (reconstructive surgery)

I get opinions from Orange Coast Memorial, City of Hope, and UCLA. My breast cancer is hormonally driven. I’m estrogen positive (ER+), progesterone positive (PR+), and HER2 negative (HER2 -).

breast cancer, doctors, second opinions

I ultimately choose UCLA for both my double mastectomy with lymph node removal (breast surgeon- Dr. Raquel Prati) as well as for my reconstruction (plastic surgeon- Dr. Jaco Festekjian). However, I choose to keep the oncologist at Orange Coast Memorial (Dr. Jack Jacoub). I like him and he makes me feel comfortable. Also, he’s closer to home for my chemotherapy treatments.

  • Go with the doctors whom you feel most comfortable with. It’s SO important! Choose your medical team wisely and ask lots of questions. You’re the one who has cancer and you want the best people to take care of you.   

  • The medical oncologist is going to be with you for years, so pick someone you really like. 

  • Make sure your plastic surgeon is someone who specializes in breast reconstruction, not just augmentation.




No comments:

Post a Comment