Friday, November 6, 2015

PET Scan & BRCA Testing

The next step on this walk with breast cancer is the PET scan. It’s used to detect cancer in all areas of the body.

Again, I’m poked by a needle, this time injecting me with a radioactive tracer. The nurse then takes me into a private room with a recliner. The tracers need about an hour to flow through me before I get the scan. So, I sit back and the nurse turns on music to keep me calm. It’s hard not to let your mind worry, but at the same time, it’s important to think good thoughts. I don’t know the results yet, so why worry?

Finally, it’s time for the scan. I head into the room with the familiar tubular machine. I lie down on the table and slide in and out of the machine, praying to God that I have cancer nowhere else in my body. I repeat the same affirmation as I did for the MRI, “I am healthy, whole, and complete.”

PET scan, breast cancer

When I’m done, the nurse gives me another warm, chewy cookie! Go me! I deserve it.

Results: There’s NO cancer anywhere else in my body! Praise God again!

As for the BRCA Gene testing, I need to do it since my aunt had breast cancer and my grandmother had ovarian cancer. I choose to spit in a cup in lieu of giving any more of my blood. I’ve been poked enough!


Results: I test negative for both the BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 genes. However, they find the ATM gene, but there’s not sufficient data at this time to determine if it causes increased cancer risk.


Get a copy of the PET scan on a CD. Ask for it BEFORE the procedure. YOU are your best advocate! And remember to get copies of all pathology reports and slides! You might have to hunt them down from various places as I did but you will need these for your second opinions.

breast cancer, advocate



No comments:

Post a Comment